first feedback after install of Pocket CBZ

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 27, 2006 at 5:30 PM
First I would like to say that for me the reference in termss of comics/cbz reader is cdisplay.

Then I use the following file for testing:
http://cdisplay.techknight.com/examplepages.zip

My comments are:
- Is .net 2.0 avoidable? It is huge in memory (5 MB) and it is slow to load when launching the app.
- Tipically jpeg in cbz are big and it is necessary to have the ability to display it at less than 100% (with resample for better quality/readability).
- some functionalities would be great like full screen, rotate picture, when reaching right border go straight to left border and scroll down...
- Using HTC Wizard free RAM memory is about 20 MB after system boot and I have OutOfMemoryException when trying to zoom in my test file. Is there a way to optimize memory? like loading only part of the image?

Overall I am very glad somebody is finally trying to do an application able to read cbz.

Thank you.
Coordinator
Nov 28, 2006 at 12:45 PM
Actually the Desktop component does resampling. There's no way with the .Net to resample the image on device (and honestly you really wouldn't want to do that. It's much better to pre-build files for use with the images already scaled down. The zoom only give one level and it was because early on I had some issues reading stuff (this was before I perfected the desktop component).

I guess I probably need create a quickstart tutorial so that folks can understand how I intend all this to be used...

I'm actually planning a new release later today that will fix an incompatibility between the Desktop component and the reader...
Mar 16, 2007 at 7:29 AM
Hey,

totally agree with meroupow, its about time someone made a PDA reader that can read CBZ/CBR files. and a big thankyou for that.

Unfortueately i have not been able to get the beta3 release to work, keep recieved errors when i try to open the files. this occures with both CBZ's created by the desktop app and files i already had. .net 2 is installed on a ipaq 6828 WM5

Would be good if you program could open any CBZ file regarless of the image size and just scale it to fit the PDA screen, this will prevent people from having to create two versions of the CBZ file.

I'm not sure if i should post here, but i found the below app.
http://www.comicguru.net/index.php
the way it displays the manga/comic pages is very good, but it uses its own file format.

if you need further beta testing, i'll be glad to help.

TB
Coordinator
May 8, 2007 at 12:36 PM
I am sporadically working on this (not heavily like some projects). The problem that you mentioned is this.

We need to rescale the image before it hits the PDA because of the limited size of memory in PocketPCs. Think of it this way. I have a 20mb CBZ file that I want to view. The process actually unzips the necessary file into memory and then closes the zip file. This means that you are potentially using 20mb of memory before you've opened the image (scaling the image will result in the same type of issue where I have 2 copies of the image in memory at the same time: the rescaled image and the unscaled image). I do try to do some things to make the process more efficient but the problems that I have had are generally memory issues.

BTW, I had a version when I was initially building this 2 years ago that did this, BUT the issue was that I was constantly running out of memory (and I have an Axim X30 machine with 64mb... I'm due for an upgrade).
Jul 5, 2007 at 8:32 PM
Edited Jul 5, 2007 at 9:11 PM
Hey, just started using Pocket CBZ. Nice program, no problems so far on my Axim x50v. Just need to work out what the optimum compact resize would be. I really appreciate your effort on this, thanks a lot.

A requested feature would be the option to change the scroll distance/speed.
Coordinator
Jul 5, 2007 at 9:22 PM
Mark,

That shouldn't be too hard to do.

Of course I need to have the fun of figuring out the best way to save those settings after the fact...

Jay
Jul 6, 2007 at 3:43 AM
Hey,

so any updates ? :D

To avoid the memory limits and having to create new CBZ files with a reduced quality/size. Can you have the viewer auto extract the files to the PDA's storage memory ie SD card etc? The viewer can then just scale and read the images. Once the viewer is existed it delets the temp directory witht he umcompressed images.

The other option is to have a "rolling" umcompress/deletion of the image files so the Viewer starts and uncompress the first 5 images, when the viewer gets to the 3rd image it umcompresses the next 2 images and delets the first two. so at any one time only the current image and two images before and after are uncompressed and taking memory.

anyway loking forward to updates, and if u need beta testers let me know,

Cheers

TB
Jul 6, 2007 at 5:14 AM
Edited Jul 6, 2007 at 5:16 AM
Is this normal behavior for the zoom feature? When I select "zoom in" the image properly scales. Then when I "<next" or "prev>" this 2nd image is at the original scale, not the zoomed in scale. This alone isn't a problem, however the "zoom in" option is still selected in the Tools menu. It's now impossible to zoom in on this 2nd image. Using "zoom out" now scales the 2nd image to much smaller image than the original size.

Anyways, great job on this and thanks for the quick response.
Aug 30, 2007 at 2:02 AM
Edited Aug 30, 2007 at 2:02 AM
I've been using PocketCBZ for awhile now and I really enjoy it. I hope to see development continue. Downloading source myself and hope to make a few simple changes such as deleting the "Exit" button. I really hate hitting that by accident and losing my page.
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2007 at 8:05 PM
Mark,

To be honest I really haven't done much with it since the last update.

I would love for someone to take it and improve on it... I just don't have that much time with being an "indy" consultant/developer plus the couple other projects I have running plus my wife and 2 kids...

I have been thinking about adding a bookmark system where I can open some file and automatically come back to a particular page in the file. I have also thought about creating an option for loading the next file (so if I have files named syncronously say "Heroes 1c.cbz" and I tell it to get me the next file, it will find "Heroes 2c.cbz..." Again time is a killer for me.

Seriously, if you think you can provide some decent changes I will more than welcome you to the "team" (of 2 developers)

Jay
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2007 at 8:08 PM
Mark,

BTW, I guess I forgot to answer your zoom question... zoom is a piece of functionality I put in when I was still refining the conversion process.

Basically I was getting images the right size but the writing was very tiny and I wanted to zoom in to better read what was there... I finally refined the conversion util and never really removed that functionality.

AS far as the bug goes... yep... I really released this because I had it working and people were really wanting a pocketpc viewer for cbz's.. it's definitely not perfect.

Jay